logo mail   mail  (651) 217-8116
A 501 (c)(3) nonprofit committed to ‘saving the law’
Description and Holding Information
1773-1893, Journal of the Legislative Council
Journals and proceedings of the Legislative Council of the Province of Prince Edward Island: 1773-93, Charlottetown, var. gov. pr., 1773-93, all
published. (Severed from Nova Scotia in 1769, Prince Edward Island received a constitution in 1773 providing for an Executive Council, a nominated
Legislative Council and an elective Assembly. The Legislative Council had 9 members, who also constituted the Executive Council. Somewhat unusually it
numbered in its membership the Anglican Bishop of Nova Scotia. Another former ties to Nova Scotia was that the Prince Edward Island militia remained under
the overall command of the Nova Scotia Commander of Forces. The legislature conducted most of the affairs of the colony, even the municipal services
that would have been the charge of lower levels of government in the more urbanized colonies. Responsible government was established in 1851. Until 1894
the legislature consisted of two houses: the Legislative Council and the House of Assembly. In 1894 the legislature was reconstituted into a
unicameral body known as the Legislative Assembly. As of 6/11 LLMC’s run was limited to 1854-93, with some gaps. The gift or loan of gap-fillers and materials
prior to 1854 would be much appreciated.)
Title:   Journal of the Legislative Council of the Province of Prince Edward Island : reformatted from the original and including, Journal of His Majesty's Council of Prince Edward Island ...
OCLC Number:   758671884
Available Volumes
NameFiche CountOnlinePaper Backup
1854YesNo
1856YesNo
1857YesNo
1863YesNo
1865YesNo
1866YesNo
1867YesNo
1872YesNo
1876YesNo
1877YesNo
1885YesNo
1887YesNo
1888YesNo
1889YesNo
1893YesNo